Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Let's Get Rolling...



This is my first post on my own blog. Here's what you won't get from me; news. There are plenty of great news sites. I love reading them. Everyday I browse Engadget, MobilitySite, Gizmodo and plenty of others. Great stuff. The world does not need one more news site.

But you will get some reviews and opinions. So what are we waiting for?

Before you run out and buy the brand new, beautiful, iPod Nano, wait. Yes, the Nano is one Phat, fatty hot device. I love the looks, features, size and the fact that it's an iPod. Hey, I'm no hater. Business is business, fun is fun, and there is nothing wrong with being an iPod fan boy. And boy, is there some iPod backlash going on?!

So why am I telling you to wait? Now that Apple has introduced a whole new line of products, all their competitors have scrambled to catch up. Apple owns 70% of the market. And just when their products were getting stale, they reinvented them in a bold, beautiful way. Forget about the criticism you may hear folks. The fact is that Apple's products are all over the news. They are red hot. They are truly special. Apple has advanced them to a new level. So to compete, a rival must not only match the features, they must beat the price, overcome the status that comes with owning an iPod or offer something far more compelling than an iPod.

I believe that Sandisk is about to do that with their upcoming View. The 8 GB (flash memory)iPod Nano offers a tiny form factor, a 2" diagonal screen to watch movies, and their famous ease of use. The 8 GB iPod sells for $199. Nice. But Sandisk, makers of flash memory, have a nice response in the View. The View comes in an 8 GB ($149) and 16 GB ($199) model. The 16GB model offers double the memory for the same price. It sports a 2.4" screen to Nano's 2" screen. It is slightly taller than the iPod, but it plays many different types of media files, then bests iPod by offering FM radio, a built in microphone, and a microSD slot. Nicer.

I ordered one from Amazon.com and should get it in late October or early November. Keep an eye out as I will review it at Aximsite. This should be exciting.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Steve. Congrats on the new blog. Very nice first post. I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Sansa View as I think that looks to be one of the best new players.

Doug

NoWire360 said...

Sweet start Steve. I wish you well!

Peter Murphy said...

Steve very nice, I'll look forward to more from you, I don't think I'll be getting the sansa though.

Anonymous said...

Running around to all these blogs is getting out of hand! ;-)

Congrats, Steve.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Ravi.